Sunday, March 23, 2008

Arranged Marriages

So I began reading Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquirel and I can’t seem to be able to put it down. The above link is a helpful and positive review of the book that explains why the book is so interesting. As I began reading this book, my attention was instantly caught once Mama Elena, the protagonist’s mother, said to Tita, the main character, “If he intends to ask for your hand, tell him not to bother. He’ll be wasting his time and mine too. You know perfectly well that being the youngest daughter means you have to take care of me until the day I die.” From this quote I learned that arranged marriages are a big part of Tita’s culture, and I also began to absolutely HATE Mama Elena. What will happen to Tita when she gets older? Who will take care of her if she is not allowed to marry? I began to research more about arranged marriages, and I discovered that the practice continues today, especially in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Japan and India. It even happens in America. I have a friend whose friend just had her marriage arranged, and she decided to go along with it even though she has never met her future husband. I find the whole process to be very odd and unfair, but it is not a part of my culture; therefore, I do not understand it. I guess kids today, like Rosaura and Pedro in Like Water for Chocolate still go through with arranged marriages to remain respectful towards their parents. I have not finished the book yet, so I do not know what will happen to Tita and Pedro, but I hope they overcome the obstacle that Mama Elena places in front of them.

No comments: