Thursday, February 7, 2008

First Impression

My first impression of Simon Wiesenthals autobiography, The Sunflower, was not positive. The story, which took place in a Nazi death camp, was about Wiesenthals difficult experience with a dying SS man and his final request of Wiesenthal. I recently read a criticism stating that Wiesenthal, "in less than one hundred pages, painted a vivid picture of what it was like to be a Jew in that place and time." His book was an easy read and was very short, but while the book was quite short, I found it difficult to become interested in because he was repetitive with some of his thoughts. As I got further into the story, I noticed that things began to pick up and became much more interesting, especially when Wiesenthal met the SS soldier. I do not want to spoil the story for anyone who is considering reading this book, but Wiesenthals response to the dying Nazis request for forgiveness surprised me. Im looking forward to reading the diverse viewpoints in part two based on what occurred in part one. Overall, I think that part one is a pretty good read, but be patient with it.

No comments: