Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wiesenthal's Other Hobby


As I was writing a research paper for my english class about The Sunflower, I ran across an interesting website that mentioned Wiesenthal’s involvement as a Nazi War Criminal Investigator after the Holocaust. This did not surprise me too much because I’m sure that once he got out of the concentration camps and regained his strength, he wanted justice... who wouldn’t? How could the Nazis not be punished for the horrible crimes they committed during the Holocaust? I decided to research more about Wiesenthal’s life, and found out that his work prosecuting the Nazis was legendary. Who would have guessed that a well-known author in his genre would also be famous for something completely different? Wiesenthal was able to bring 1,100 Nazis to justice, and his greatest success was with Adolf Eichmann. Wiesenthal was the leader of a campaign that uncovered information about Eichmann’s whereabouts, and brought him to trial in 1961. I’m very impressed with Wiesenthal’s accomplishments, and I recommend reading the link I posted above to anyone who is reading The Sunflower, or anyone who is considering reading it.

No comments: